Sunday 20 November 2011

The hostel British rendez-vous

A hostel in KL, finally, 23.45, warm water, clean beds & wifi....

I'm knackered, & looking not so great..or even worse..

...but it's past 11 pm, not many people around, who cares?

I go downstairs with a backpack over one arm, i look at the noticeboard  on the wall wiping my tired forehead when suddenly someone appears at the other end of the staircase:


a very handsome guy, who to add salt & sweat to the insult,  smells so much nicer than me... :)

" Do you know where I could make myself some tea"? I ask, even though I know very well from the very noticeboard right in front of me the answer to my silly question, but he kind of bumps into me or I into him & i am so tired & my hair is less than perfect so i guess i am supposed to say something right? just to prove i may look shattered but i am not stupid  at least, or i am actually proving i am stupid by saying something? oh dear, oh dear, but it s too late & i uttered something already...


The velvet of purest British accent surrounds me in seconds. Even if it is only a few words explaining that, indeed, I can find cups & kettle downstairs.

"Where are you from" I continue, just to be clear, just to be sure, or probably rather just to ...say something again? (man, now i really put my foot in it..)

 "UK"

"I said last week I would screw the 1st guy from the UK I meet; man, I miss British accent around me SO much!" - I am too knackered to think what effect my outspokenness may have. And after over three and a half months away from the Great British Isles, I am quite serious about my nostalgia for Britishness.

My interlocutor in a truly British manner replies:
" Well first comes first, you should indeed have your cup of tea now".

He smiles, sincerely, (yes he is a Brit i know, but trust me it was sincere... )

Oh Brits, oh mighty Brits.. how am I missing you sometimes.. :-))

P.S  This is the website of the wonderful cute KL hostel where the events described above took place :) 

http://www.theexplorersguesthouse.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment